Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Went to church this morning, but not with my dad. :(:( The holidays I miss the most living in Cincinnati are Mother's and Father's Day. I loved this from this morning: "I am an extension of my father". BIG SIGH . . . . in many ways I am like my father - got my music from him, my ability to see every shade of gray, my flat feet, my hurt for others when they hurt, my inability to make a quick decision cuz I over-think everything (ahem), my tender heart, patience, discernment, listening skills, my German heritage and maiden name that means "Big Cheese" (those last 5 were from Mike :)). But am I really an extension of him? Have I been an extension of his character through all this? In tough times, that's when character matters most, or perhaps when it is put to the test. Your true colors show through when you are at the bottom of life. In my struggles with the Lord throughout this journey, the attribute I have most connected with is God as our father. And why is that? Because I've had the most phenomenal example of what a father should be. Because every morning, regardless of circumstances, dad was on his knees talking with God the Father, asking for guidance, asking for wisdom, praising Him for blessings and crying out when dad was in his own dessert season of life. Proverbs 8:34 says, "Blessed is the man who listens to Me, watching daily at My doors, waiting at my doorway". Dad listened and watched and waited when the Lord asked him to. And in my heart I always knew that whatever came our way as a family, it would be okay because dad always started the day at His feet. And while Mike and I walked and continue to walk through all we have in the last two years+, I know dad did the very same - down on his knees at the feet of the Father, asking for healing, asking for wisdom, listening to what God had for him and passing along the wisdom to us that God granted.
Psalm 103:13 says, "As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him". Compassion - oh the depth of compassion that dad has shown to us - the tears he's shared, the prayers he's cried out on our behalf, the words of wisdom that he's spoken in our journey in the dessert. The characteristic of the Lord that I've questioned the most throughout all this is His love . . . and what has brought me back to truth, that God loves me more than I will ever comprehend? My dad's love - shown in so many ways - as an extension of his heavenly Father. When dad gets to the other side, I have no doubt there are crowns in abundance waiting for him and a smile so sweet and an embrace so big from his heavenly Father. Wish I was there to hug you today, dad. Wish I could put into words the extension that you are of the Lord and what that has meant to me in my life. Hope that Mike and I will one day have kids who can share in an exceptional relationship with their grandfather, because you are a man worth knowing, loving, learning from and you are leaving a legacy that has gotten your kids, Mike and I, through one of the darkest times of our lives. Thank you - keep going - love you. Happy Father's Day!
Rebbie

No comments:

Post a Comment