Saturday, December 18, 2010

Silver linings

Well, friends, Mike has steered clear of the stomach bug! It's been one week, so I gotta believe he is in the clear. One down! Mike was put on a medication for pneumonia, but unfortunately he had an adverse reaction and seized many times on the meds. He was quickly taken off and he is starting to feel better so the thought is, it is viral. Two days ago, Mike unfortunately lost his balance again and went down the stairs. SIGH Still no broken bones, but an order for a block for the stairs and a sore back have prevailed. After I was through with the stomach flu, I got another upper respiratory bug. My doctor asked me what stress I had in life that I could get rid of - hmmmm, much stress and not much of a way to get rid of it.

My heart is thrilled to have 2 weeks off from work - I am so looking forward to time with my family and time with Mike. Two nights ago, Mike went seizure free again! Last night and through today he has seized 9 times. NINE TIMES! He texted me at work to let me know he was having a rough day, and I can't tell you how my heart sank. I have been looking forward to Christmas break for so long - time with Mike and time to enjoy family - and a BREAK - time to refuel and rest and destress . . . . and then I got Mike's text. I cried to the Lord on my way home - telling Him I needed a break, I needed rest, I needed to see my family, I needed life to get easier even if only for a little while. I came home, Mike stretched out his arms, and we just sat there and held each other and cried for a little while . . . we're so very very tired of all this and when Mike seizes countless times, life looks very grim.

But in a season of hope and wonder and excitement - grim is no place to live. I had forgotten tonight that we had made plans for friends to come over. We typically have a Christmas party with the neighborhood, but due to the inconsistency of Mike's health, we decided not to this year. Instead, I invited my running buddies, and their husbands, over for dinner. I invited them over tomorrow night . . . right? Nope. At 6:45 my phone buzzed reminding me company would be here in 15 minutes - my floors weren't vacuumed, my comfy pants were on and two loads of laundry were next to me on the couch. Needless to say, Papa Johns pizza was delicious! And as embarrassed as I was that I mixed up the nights and fed my guests pizza, it was ok. It was more than ok. It was enjoyable. It was normal life. It was an evening where I enjoyed friends and a fire and fancy salad and dessert (which they made, ahem). It was wonderful. I told the Lord today in my tearful drive home that He had to show up - and He did at 7:00 this evening - in the smiles and encouragement of friends - in an evening of normalcy that Mike thoroughly enjoyed surprisingly, considering his rough day. God shows up - in the silver linings of chaos - in the still small voice - in the baby in the manger . . . . and when He does - oh how sweet He is.

Prayers for safe travels to NH this week are appreciated, PRAISE that Mike did not get the stomach bug are in order, and my personal praise tonight is for the silver linings that the Lord continues to show me, especially at the times I need them most. A very MERRY CHRISTMAS, friends, to you and your families!
Becka

2 comments:

  1. Becka,
    Your entry is so touching that it brings tears to my eyes. We had such a wonderful time seeing both of you that evening.
    Safe travels to NY this week!
    Merry Christmas,
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the Lord provides a break when and where we might not even think we need one. The pizza was delicious, and the company was extraordinary. Merry Christmas, dear friends!

    ReplyDelete